Bankrolling Poker
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Leaderboard Champion
September - billyworks
October - billyworks
January - kendiernest
April - snug25
Carbon Poker Affiliate
Taking The “Luck” Out Of Poker Games Cp_badbeat_125x125
Full Rush Poker Affiliate

Full Tilt Affiliate
Play Online Poker
Play Online Poker
Poker Stars Affiliate

promo code: stars600
Ultimate Bet Affiliate
Play online poker with thousands of real people for FREE
Absolute Poker Affiliate
Play online poker with thousands of real people for FREE
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Free Web Counters
Unique Visitors

Website Hit Counters
Website Views

Taking The “Luck” Out Of Poker Games

Go down

Taking The “Luck” Out Of Poker Games Empty Taking The “Luck” Out Of Poker Games

I often here people saying, “today is not my day.” What they really mean is that “today is not my (lucky) day.” When I hear that phrase, I always think to myself why did you put yourself in a position to become unlucky. I think the same thing when I hear these phases as well; “better to be lucky, than good”, or my personal favorite, “one time!”

Now, I agree that poker is a game of both luck AND skill, but I also believe that each player determines how much of poker is skill and how much poker is luck. You lose the ability to control of the game the moment you go all in before the river! This is when you allow “luck” to take over.

I consider myself a very unlucky poker player. (Need proof? Click here.) In fact, I believe that all good poker players are generally unlucky and that it is the bad poker players and the gamblers that are lucky.

Here’s my logic on this… Say you consider yourself a good player. You go all in and you’re called. You have the best hand (AA vs 85o for example). Do you consider yourself lucky when you win? I don’t because I have the best hand going in it is expected that I win. Now, if you lose in the same situation, do you consider yourself unlucky? Again, I do because the odds dictate that I should have won that hand.

On the flip side of the coin, does the guy who lost with the worst hand going in feels unlucky? I don’t think so at all, but when the same player sucks out on an opponent. He feels very lucky! So if you think about it, how often are good players going all in with the losing hand. Not often in my opinion. That’s why I believe that good players are generally unlucky.

The key lesson, or strategy here at the poker tables would be to try and avoid “all in” situations as much as possible. By going all in, you lose the ability to utilize other poker techniques to win with possibly the weaker hand that skilled players use. If you adjust your game to play less all in situations, I’m sure that you will find yourself going deeper into tournaments, and reaching ITM more often, or not going bust in cash sessions.

Taking The “Luck” Out Of Poker Games Wurubt

Last edited by Admin on Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:44 am; edited 2 times in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://bankrollingpoker.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Taking The “Luck” Out Of Poker Games :: Comments

Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:37 pm by arrytus

good point about the all in-- as i said in my 1st article- even though his article was ironically written over something i said to you- poker is a game of information and going all in when each card changes the odds borders on nescience. it is an otiose approach which signals we do no care to think any longer and leave it to the gods of aleatory.

Back to top Go down

Post Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:34 am by Poker_K1ng89

Well let say im at the button... I got A-A... the blind are 10-20.. I raise to 100$ showing everyone I have strong hand.. BB raise me all in.... I sure will follow with A-A... No way I fold A-A you know what I mean... usually... we never go All in ourself with A-A but peoples put us all in with A-A.... Know what I mean? Sorry my english suck... :O

Back to top Go down

Post Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:49 am by Holdemerfoldem

I think with AA you have to be lucky I see it get beat alot Smile

Back to top Go down

GoneGreedy

Post Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:31 pm by GoneGreedy

Yea it is a game of skill really, and some type of luck..but more of skill, cause if you know someone is bluffing with the amounts they're betting then you'll reraise them and make them fold, you might bump into a slow player but i've learned to slow play your good hands and play aggressive with the hands you completely bluff with...and with luck, it's like you go all in and someone calls, and you hit and win, thats like luck...

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down