Bankrolling Poker
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Leaderboard Champion
September - billyworks
October - billyworks
January - kendiernest
April - snug25
Carbon Poker Affiliate
Avoid being “Raked” in Omaha High/Low (H/L) cash games Cp_badbeat_125x125
Full Rush Poker Affiliate

Full Tilt Affiliate
Play Online Poker
Play Online Poker
Poker Stars Affiliate

promo code: stars600
Ultimate Bet Affiliate
Play online poker with thousands of real people for FREE
Absolute Poker Affiliate
Play online poker with thousands of real people for FREE
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Free Web Counters
Unique Visitors

Website Hit Counters
Website Views

Avoid being “Raked” in Omaha High/Low (H/L) cash games

Go down

Avoid being “Raked” in Omaha High/Low (H/L) cash games Empty Avoid being “Raked” in Omaha High/Low (H/L) cash games

Avoid being “Raked” in Omaha High/Low (H/L) cash games

Omaha H/L is a great game to play because it gives you the opportunity to play two types of games per hand. The best “high” hand receives half of the pot and the best “low” hand receives the other half of the pot. It also works well in cash games sessions, but there’s one small problem…THE RAKE!

Typically in Omaha h/l, the best strategy is to try and get a three-way situation where the odd man (the person who lost and high and low hands) is the loser. Often times thought, you’d find yourself in the two-way situation where one person has the best high hand and the other person has the best low hand. In non-cash game sessions, this situation really doesn’t matter because you’d receive your money back, but in cash games, you’d receive less money because of the rake (the money that is taken out of the pot by the site).

This can prove to be a very costly mistake to everyone at the tables because most Omaha h/l games end up being in a two-way situation and both people are moving all in with best hands only to split the pot, minus the rake, and have less money than before that started the hand.

The strategy here is to try to keep the hand with three people or more in the pot. This means that even though you may have the nut high or low, you don’t push people out of the pot. You always make marginal bets to keep everyone interested in the pot.

If you find yourself in a two-way situation, even if you have the best high or low hand, you check/call through the rest of the hand. Again the key point here is that you stopped growing the pot once the three-way + situation ended.

You only want to push in a two-way situation when you have an opportunity to win both high and low pots, or if there will be no low qualifying hand. The extra loss of the rake is worth the opportunity to take down a big pot if you have a strong high AND low hand.

Good luck and keep your bank rolling!

Avoid being “Raked” in Omaha High/Low (H/L) cash games Wurubt
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://bankrollingpoker.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Avoid being “Raked” in Omaha High/Low (H/L) cash games :: Comments

Post Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:05 pm by wntrlnd

very good post

i'm just trying to learn omaha, so i appreciate the insight!

Back to top Go down

GoneGreedy

Post Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:24 pm by GoneGreedy

so that means HU omaha h/L ring games is pointless????

yaaaaa damn right

Back to top Go down

craigy bell

Post Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:44 pm by craigy bell

this is the first time ive seen this post. Im just starting out in omaha i enjoy it because of the hand ranges you can get. Although i do seem to just stick to omaha high or low not really both together. But thanks for the insight into the rake side of it admin. Never thought about it until i read this post. Im now off to try my luck at low stake cash tables playing h/l omaha.

Back to top Go down

Post Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:01 am by arrytus

that's the truth. Omaha h/l is my favorite game but those donks who push only to split the pots aggravate me on the the limits i tend to play, so i stay away.

Back to top Go down

Post Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:30 pm by Boss

post about as wrong as it could gets. how do you want to get paid by c/c ur nuts? how do u know he has the other nuts if low draw possible. 3-way situation like u mentionned are very rare at higher stakes. to make da maneys u have to go hard with sick combo draws or nuts high with no low draw possible

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down