Calendar Calendar

Free Web Counters
Unique Visitors

Website Hit Counters
Website Views

MTT: How to survive near the bubble playing online poker short stacked

View previous topic View next topic Go down

MTT: How to survive near the bubble playing online poker short stacked

Let’s start things off with a quick definition of “the bubble”. The bubble is the last unpaid position in a tournament, and in my opinion, the absolute worst position to lose. Playing the bubble with a big stack, playing the bubble with a medium stack, and playing the bubble with a short stack required different strategies.

Playing short stacked is by far the toughest (and most common) situation most poker players are faced with near the bubble. In fact, I believe that making it “in the money” (ITM) while short stacked is what separates tournament players that continues to grow their bankrolls and from those players that runs out of their bankrolls and have to re-deposit or freeroll a new bankroll.

To survive the bubble short stacked, there is a couple to techniques that you must execute. The first and most important is the “stall technique”. Each site gives a set amount of time to make a decision when it is your turn to make a play. You have to use every second of the given time before making a play. A good time to start this technique is when there are about 20 players before ITM is reached.

If you open other tables in the same tournaments, you’ll see one of two things happening. You’ll either see other players near the bubble using the same strategy, or you’ll see tables playing normally. Using this technique has two advantages. One, stalling will slow down the pace of the game and fewer hands will be played. At this stage in the game, the blinds will be high and antes will be in play. When you’re short stacked, you want two avoid both as much and as long as possible. The second advantage you’ll notice is that tables that continue to play at a normal speed are losing players and that the blinds and antes are hurting the short stacks at those tables.

Using the stall technique alone will get you ITM most of the time, but there are changes in your style of play as well. You should be folding just about every hand you are dealt if your chips don’t have folding power. Folding power is when you bet enough chips to make opponents fold their marginal, or weak hands. Folding power is also based on the chip size of the opponent. The Big stack at the table is likely to call with any two cards, so you will want to avoid them completely if possible.

Your target when you do have a hand worth playing (AA, KK, QQ, JJ, AK, AQ) is other opponent also trying to survive the bubble because they will most likely also only play those premium hands and will fold to you. I wouldn’t even recommend play AK or AQ against a big stack because of the risk of being sucked out by a weaker hand and losing the tournament. Just sit back and let the big stacks do their job, which is KO'ing other opponents.

I’m confident using this method of play will not only decrease your bubble percentage, but also increase your ITM percentage and your bankroll!

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://bankrollingpoker.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

- Similar topics
Share this post on: Excite BookmarksDiggRedditDel.icio.usGoogleLiveSlashdotNetscapeTechnoratiStumbleUponNewsvineFurlYahooSmarking

MTT: How to survive near the bubble playing online poker short stacked :: Comments

Post on Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:11 pm by craigy bell

nice post but it can be hard to fold sometimes becauce as u said if your short stacked then the blinds may come a calling and force u into to playing a more weak hand but other than that ive used this tactic on numerous occasions and used it to my advantage

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:37 pm by PedroMXDF

Thanks for this tip.

I help a lot, because one must be conservative occasions to get to the money.

I hope to learn much in this forum

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:15 pm by Steves22

I'd still rather play to win than try to survive. Unless it was a large amount of money on the line.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:29 am by craigy bell

really have to disagree steve. Yeah ur right we all want to play to win but as admin says playing this tactic and getting past the bubble is a big advavtage. Cause once the bubble bursts ppl satrt to losen up and that gives u a big chance to start rebuilding ur stack. And also once people losen up youll start to see a lot more medium stacks itier building there stack or getting sucked out and moving u up another place itm.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:23 pm by bell824

great read admin will use this in future games thanx

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:04 am by Boss

Just play to win. Who cares about winning $1.35 in a $1.20 buyin tournament lol

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:45 am by tazer11

I dont usually have a problem folding cards, but i will definitely start playing slower in the tourneys i play in when it gets more to the bubble rather then always having auto fold checked unless i get a good hand. Thank you Admin! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun May 02, 2010 11:49 pm by djkismet

this was a great read.... the stall tactic i often see but thought worked against players. further explained now makes a ton more sense lol i plan on using this whenever possible. my hand rang id at this position id like to think is really good!

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:41 am by XPOKERCHIC

craigy bell wrote:nice post but it can be hard to fold sometimes becauce as u said if your short stacked then the blinds may come a calling and force u into to playing a more weak hand but other than that ive used this tactic on numerous occasions and used it to my advantage

Never become short stacked is the number one rule. X

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:54 pm by GimmeABrewski

id go allin on the bubble fuck it PLAY TO WIN.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:36 pm by nancy221

don't know about the JJ tho
it nvr wins anymore ~ any ole Ace rag takes it out nowadays
i fold it sometimes not even on the bubble lol

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:42 am by Admin

The laws of probability states that's it's winner more than it's a loser... You gotta roll with the numbers short stacked!

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:02 pm by nancy221

wow tried to learn about law of probablility stuff but it was mumbo jumbo to me lmao http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1363232/pokers_three_laws_of_probability.html

but i won't forget *when short stacked on the bubble go 4 it with JJ thumbs up
easy enough Cool

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:30 pm by Samango

I don't like that page or explanation at all

Something like this is much more useful
http://www.learn-texas-holdem.com/texas-holdem-odds-probabilities.htm
I just searched and found it now, it certainly doesn't cover everything, but it explains basic odds, pot odds and then lists the odds of certain events near the bottom of the page. The important ones are listed just before the chart. flush, straight etc.
Also the rule of 2&4 is worth learning
http://www.learn-texas-holdem.com/tips/the-2-4-rule-for-odds.htm
Count your outs and multiply by 2 if you are reckoning the odds for 1 street (flop to turn or turn to river), or multiply by 4 if you are looking for the odds from flop to river (2 streets, only really applies if going allin on the flop)
The figure you get is very close to the percentage of hitting. So, if you are on a flush draw, you have 9 outs, x2 is 18% chance of hitting on one street or (9outs x4) 36% chance of hitting on the turn and river

This doesn't really cover the odds of the JJ in the above example but
what I would say about that is that, while it is probably prudent to give it a little less value in the middle of a game (perhaps treating it as you would a TT or 99, simply because people do play Qx Kx and Ax too much) If you are short stacked and bubbling, it is the 4th strongest starting hand and you can't ask for much more than that to put your money in with
http://www.beatthefish.com/poker-strategy/texas-holdem-poker-hands.html

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum